Cracked the final round of interview and got your appointment letter in hand. Now the first day at work is arriving soon and you are excited, nervous or have mixed feelings. Wondering how it would be in the office on first day. Take a deep breathe and relax, almost all of us have similar feelings when we join the corporate work force for the first time. The trick is how you can set your first impression which is not just lasting but also has a long term impact. To help you get started and be admired for your work ethics and professionalism, we have listed down 10 cool tips for a new job or first day at work. Read on and leave your new boss and collogues impressed.
- Visit the Office Prior to Your First Working Day: Like a job interview, reaching on time for that first day at work is also critical. To make sure that you do not reach late on this important day, try visiting the office premises at least once prior to the date of joining. So that you know the exact route and can track how much time it exactly takes to reach the office. Make sure that on the first day of new job you reach at least 10 to 15 min prior to the schedule. Please keep in mind these days’ traffic excuses or any other silly excuses are considered pretty lame and does not give a good impression.
- Start Your Day with Heavy Breakfast: As this would be your first day at work and you are unaware of the lunch culture at work. It is always a good idea to have a healthy, heavy breakfast before leaving for office. Reason being you do not know what the situation would be like. If you are amongst the lucky few, possibly you’ll get to have lunch with your boss. If not than possibly you will have to suffice with coffee machine and crackers. A heavy breakfast will help you sustain your energy levels while attending meeting after meeting, and training sessions.
- Go Well Prepared – Do your Home Work: Before your first day at work, make sure that you do your homework and learn about the company profile. Do some research on the internet, visit the company website and read about their latest updates and news. This will keep you informed and you will be in a better position to understand their terminologies and facts, which they might discuss during meeting or training sessions. Other than this, if you already know who will be your immediate boss, it would be wise to do some background check on him, and learn about his interest areas, likes and dislikes. This small activity will help you gel up with him easily.
- Dress Appropriately for Success: When joining a new job, we sometimes get over excited and try to wear something, which is not our usual style. I would suggest wearing something comfortable yet professional to first day at office. Specially be very particular about the shoes you choose. Tight shoes or high selittoes which are not comfortable will make the entire first day at job experience bad and tiresome. Remember their will be lot of important things for you to worry about on the first office day than your shoes and sandals. In case while attending the job interview, you notices some sort of dress code, than it would be wise to call up the HR representative and learn about it.
- Stay Calm & Professional: On the first day at work, with so much information imparted on one single day, chances are you might go overwhelmed. Don’t let it show up. Just keep in mind slowly and steadily you will understand everything. Other than that if you are some one with a high pitch and tone, maintain your one while communicating. Keep your sense of humor in control. If others are cracking jokes during training or meeting, keeping mum and observing is a better bet here. Simply because you are new to the game and yet unaware of all the rules.
- Take Notes & Jot Down Important Names: On the first day at job, you will be introduced with lots of people, lot of training manuals and instructions would be provided. Keeping track of so much information is difficult. So be smart and jot down all the important instructions and names. You will thank yourself latter for being wise.
- Set Up Your Work Space: You will be excited to see your new work area. Decorate your work area just like you want. But bear in mind that ultimately the space belongs to the company. So be conscious while placing the photo frames, stuff toys and other décor items. Don’t over do it. Make sure to arrange all important documents properly in one closet, do not leave them on the table top or scattered.
- Take a Small Break: First day at office, we all our so over loaded with meeting schedules and it seems as if we need to do it all in a single day. Take a break and relax, have a cup of coffee and if possible take a round of the office premises. You will feel more relaxed and refreshed.
- Listen!! Listen!! : The first day at work, is mostly about knowledge transfer, trainings, introducing you to the work culture in the new office, HR policies, Insurance policies, your work profile. The best thing to do is, listen and respect others thought. Even if you have better ideas and suggestions, on a certain project or work it is always good to keep those to yourself at least on the first day.
- Do Not Forget to Thank the Office Assistant & Others: Thank everyone who helps you with anything right from helping you set up your computer or desktop to helping you with getting acquainted with the office culture. The more you use this word on the first day and than moderately latter on, better it would be for you.
READ MORE RELATED ARTICLES:
- How to Write a Thank you Email Post Phone Interview
- How to Hunt For a Job like a Pro!!
- 5 Good Reasons to Quit Your Current Job and Find a New Job
- 5 Good Ways to Explain Gaps in Resume