Are you planning to work in school, but wondering how you would get a job when you do not have any related work experience or teaching qualification? Here are few suggestions for you that can help obtain your first Job and work experience as a teacher.
Tips to get work experience in school:
- Create a list of all the nearby schools or local schools of your interest. Have 3 columns in the sheet, School name, Telephone Number, Work experience (needed or not needed). Try targeting schools closest to you, because then there are higher chances of you being recruited.
- Second step would be giving them a telephone call and enquiring if they have any vacancies and what is their hiring policy i.e. if they hire people on work experience basis or not. As per the answer you receive, mark it in the work experience column of your sheet.
- Then make a good resume or CV, with all your qualifications, interest…etc. and visit each of the schools on your list to hand out your resume personally to them (Please make sure that you target your resume and cover letter in such a way that it showcases your interest in Teaching). In case you are lucky enough to meet the real person of contact you can talk about your interest in the job and why you want to get into a teaching Job. Have some concrete reasoning ready in advance. (Read more on Resume Tips & Advice)
- Reference counts a lot in teaching jobs, so if you know some one who is already working in the school you are interested in. Then consider meeting him in person and enquire if they have any job opening in the school. Also hand out your resume to that person and request if he could forward it to the concerned person. There is no problem in asking for help.
- Finally one of the most effective but a little pricey thing to so is get yourself CRB checked. If you are CRB checked then their are more chances for you getting calls from the schools and finding a job would be lot more easy.
Hope you find this information helpful!