Nowadays hiring is becoming global and therefore every time scheduling an in-person job interview is not only time consuming but is also a costly affair. On the other hand with technology at its boom free tools like Skype has made the life of recruiters easier. Now they can quickly arrange for a video conference interview with the candidate and scrutinize him for the first round at least. Video conferencing is effective in several ways:
- Firstly, it is very cost effective (There are numerous free video conferencing tool available online)
- Secondly, the interview process can kick off easily and more quickly.
- Thirdly, no transportation cost.
- Lastly, global face to face interviews can be conducted, which would have been not possible otherwise for a long time.
Going for a video interview seems just like shooting for a movie where the scene starts with “Light, Camera and Action” and if the take goes wrong, you have the chance to rework on it and edit it to perfection. But that’s not what happens in a real life video job interview. Here the take is done only once and either you are selected or rejected. To help you ace a video conference interview like a professional we have come up with some very useful tips and techniques that would help you snag the job or at least get to the second phase of face to face interview.
- Dressing & Presentation:
- Dress like you would dress for a face to face interview.
- Though it is a video job interview, you should still avoid casuals and dress in professional attire.
- Avoid any funky colors and busy patterns. On screen they might look distracting.
- Keep your desk clean and set the papers you might need to refer pilled up neatly and properly arranged. So that you don’t end up shuffling with papers when the video conference interview is going on.
- Prior Preparation for the video job interview:
- If you are taking the call from home, than make sure that the room is distraction free. Instruct your family members not to disturb you when the interview is going on. Check in advance that all is working fine with your laptop, microphone and the video conferencing tool.
- In case you are taking the call from their office, than try reaching the office 10 to 15 min in advance. So that you can settle down. Access the video conferencing device in advance to know how exactly it works. In case you are unable to access it, quickly ask for assistance. All in all before the call starts you should have settled down and make yourself familiar with the video device properly.
Research & Rehearse Before the Interview:
- Make sure that you have sent out all your reference documents that the interviewer might need during the interview, well in advance.
- Do some research about the company and understand their mission and vision.
- Have a list of 5 to 6 questions ready. The interviewer will give you an opportunity to ask questions about the company and job you are applying for.
- Ask a friend or a family member to conduct a mock interview for you. So that you feel more confident during the real video interview.
During the Video Job Interview:
- Body Language & Movement: During the video interview, it is extremely important that you mind your body language. Simply because, in a video conference the interviewer is able to track every single movement of yours and is totally focusing on you. So if you keep fidgeting with something or throwing your hands while communicating, it would look pretty distracting and unimpressive.
- Eye-Contact: Maintaining eye contact during the video interview is little tricky when compared to in-person job interview. During the video conference look at the camera at the top of the monitor instead of looking at the monitor itself. Because than it would look as if you are distracted with something coming on the screen.
- Take Care of the Sound Delay: With most of the video conferencing tools available, you will notice sound delay. So make sure that you give a couple of extra seconds for the interviewers to complete what they are saying and than start with your answer. The interviewer’s panel is sure to notice this and will certainly appreciate your gesture.
- Technical Issues: It is common to face technical issues while attending a video interview. We would suggest you to remain calm and composed. In case you are seeing a freeze image on screen, inform the panel calmly about it. If required excuse yourself professionally and call the on site operator to fix the issue. If you panic at this time, it will be noticed and will give a negative impact.
- Vocal Tone & Communication: Keep your tone positive, professional and enthusiastic. During the video interview try speaking faster than you normally do. It is quiet possible that the faculty have booked the video conference room for a specific time. So delaying or stretching the interview long would not be possible. Communicating fast does not mean you have to miss out on the core information.
Once the video conference interview is over thank the panel and leave the room.
Read Interview Related Articles:
- 10 Interview Tips
- Top 3 Interview Questions with Answers
- How to Hunt For a Job like a Pro!!
- Job Interview Tips